The Reading Continues

Book #4 of 2010 is...

A Gathering of Finches

by Jane Kirkpatrick

This was an AMAZING book. So powerfully written that I cried at the end of it (I won't tell you why, in case you want to read it too). I love a book that makes me laugh out loud or cry. There is something very beautiful about words that can connect on so human a level that they evoke tears.
I love Jane Kirkpatrick and A Gathering of Finches is my 9th Kirkpatrick book that I've read. She is a reliable author who I love because she choses to write stories about real people. Her kind of historical fiction is the best I've read. Plus I love that she writes about people who pioneered where she and her husband live and ranch on 160 "rugged" acres in Oregon. This book, like her others, follows the life of a strong willed and very real pioneer, Cassie Hendrick Stearns Simpson. Her struggles with life choices, her hunger for God, the cost of forgiveness and the consequences of selfishness speak right to a reader's heart. This book was good for my soul, like all of Kirkpatrick's books have been!

No comments: