I'm a REAL pioneer!



Yes, it is true...this week I have been living a dream! Well, sort of...




On Monday, our well (and the life-giving water that it pumps) stopped working. I don't know all the actual technical stuff, but the long and short of it is that we are going to have to drill a NEW well and this may take awhile.




Turns out, water is really, really important. In fact, upon some deep reflection on the subject, I think that indoor plumbing is perhaps the only real difference seperating the civilized from the rest of the world. And I promise here and now to NEVER take it for granted again.




We are showering at the gym, which sort of makes one feel homeless...but we are thankful that we have it as an option. We are doing laundry at Matt's Aunt and Uncle's house. They are SO kind to let us do HEAPS of laundry there, and entertain us while we wait for it to be done. But the real FUN comes when you need to flush a toilet, or fill the dog and cat water bowl, or DO THE DISHES.




At first the dishes were just backing up while we waited to see if the well could be fixed (why panic, just wait a day or two and clean everything up when the water comes on.) But today we got the verdict and had to come up with a new plan. I closed my eyes...and suddenly, I was the pioneer that I've always wanted to be! Matt brought me buckets of water (not from the creek out back, like we joked with each other about, but from the dairy down the street) and I started heating it up on the stove. Then I washed dishes in the sink and rinsed them in more scalding hot water. Let me tell you nothing brings back civilization like some hot soapy water! I have also learned how to wash my face in a wash basin (okay,okay, a bowl in the bathroom filled with more heated up water) and to flush my toilet with a bucket of water. It has been a big day. I know, I know, I'm far from cooking over a fire or sewing my own clothes, but it will be fun being a pioneer (sort of) for awhile.


And do you know what else I have learned today? That even though living like a pioneer is A LOT more work than living in 2010, there is a lot of peace in the work. Having to wait for all that water to heat up really gives you time to count your blessings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW. This sounds horrible to me. How long will it take to drill a new well? And how much does a new well cost in California? Is this related to the drought? Hope it goes well for you....no pun intended.......

I think the clothes washing would be the thing I'd be most stressed about. I wash everyday, and there is only 2 in my family.

csperriton said...

Oh Elizabeth! You are such a pioneer woman. Always looking looking for the blessings in everything that happens to you.