The Reading Continues

Book #11 of 2010 is...

The Persian Pickle Club
by Sandra Dallas

 This is a book that I re-read a lot. I LOVE the place that this book takes me to. It is set in a Kansas farming community in the 1930's and it is about a group of women who get together once a week for quilting time together. Friendships are so important to women, and so vital to keeping them strong when the crops are burning up and there are no jobs to be found for their husbands. The story revolves around a murder mystery, and it reveals the ties that unite women, through good times and bad.
I of course love the female friendship message, and the quilting/sewing that is such an intricate part of the story, but it really makes me long for a time when days were spent sitting around a quilting hoop with your neighbors and sharing the burdens of chores as well as the burdens of life. This is a book that I have read at least half a dozen times...it is full of good friends.

No comments: