Zucchini for sale...or free



Zucchini is a weird plant. One day it is a little plant, the next day you are drowning in some serious squash! We love to eat zucchini and yellow squash, but it gets old fast when you are trying to eat bucketfuls a day. I think that our neighbors are avoiding driving by our house because we flag them down with bags of zucchini. They are so kind that they have made zucchini bread out of some and have SENT IT BACK TO US! Yikes.


PLEASE SEND ME SOME ZUCCHINI OR SQUASH RECIPIES! Because already this week I pureed it and put it into a mac n cheese casserole, I steamed it, I stuffed it, I fried it, and Matt BBQed it. I came across this Barefoot Contessa recipe for Zucchini Cakes (think crab cakes...not chocolate cakes) and it was really good...oh yeah, so I also "caked" it. In the hopes that if I share, you will share... here it is!


Zucchini Cakes
Grate 2 large zucchini
Mix in 2 Tbsp grated red onion
2 beaten eggs
8-10 Tbsps flour (depending on how wet the zucchini is)
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Mix well
Coat frying pan with olive oil or butter
Heaping tablespoons of batter onto griddle (like pancakes)
About 2 min on each side
Eat warm!

1 comment:

Suzette said...

I have a good one:

2 cups sliced or cubed zucchini
1 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushroom
1/4 cup onion, sliced
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
basil
salt and pepper

Mix everything and place in casserole dish. Bake @ 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

You could also add tomato? or double it?

Hoping we can talk soon...