The Reading Continues

Book #15 of 2010 is...
Common Sense
by Thomas Paine

I re-read this short book almost every year around the fourth of July because I find that nothing reminds me about what America stands for and what she has fought for as much as the words in this book.  Thomas Paine is one of my favorite writers from the American Revolution, second only to Jefferson.  He writes as if he is divinely inspired (I think he was) and his words hit home still as America struggles to redefine herself in this time of "change."  This book is only 59 pages and should be read by EVERY American.  I will let his words do the telling...
"It is not in numbers but in unity, that our great strength lies."
"Our knowledge is hourly improving.  Resolution is our inherent character, and courage hath never yet forsaken us.  Wherefore, what is it that we want?  Why is it that we hesitate?"
"But where say some is the King of America?  I'll tell you Friend, he reigns above...in America the LAW is king."

Speaking of inspiring Americans...
I know that this is a little belated, but Matt and I celebrated the 4th of July this year by visiting the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library.  It has been on our list of places to see for awhile now and it was an awesome day!  I have now seen all of the presidential libraries in CA (Nixon- Yorba Linda, Reagan- Simi Valley).  I want to try to visit ALL the presidential libraries before I die.  Is that weird?

Me and the "Great Communicator"


Reagan's Grave - A quote from Anne Frank's diary 
"I know in my heart that man is good.  That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life."


Me and a piece of the Berlin Wall, the graffiti reads "Freedom."  What an amazing thing to see and touch.  We both put our hands on it and just had a moment of deep awareness of the pain and evil this wall was.

"Ideas are more powerful than guns.  We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?"
-Joseph Stalin

"There are many people in the world who really don't understand, or say they don't, what is the great issue between the free world and the Communist world.  Let them come to Berlin."
-John F. Kennedy


I was inspired by this great American during his life.  He was the first President that I wrote a letter to (although not the last) and it was awesome to remember the love he had for freedom, and the courage he showed against the evil of his time.  "Peace through Strength" was his motto.  We need Presidents who will do what is RIGHT, come what may.

No comments: