The Reading Continues

Book #16 of 2010 is...
There is no me without you
by Melissa Fay Greene

This story was SO POWERFUL and nothing like anything I have ever read.  This is the true story of how one woman, in the midst of her grief over losing her own child to AIDs, changed her world one orphan at a time.  She refused to turn any child away from her home and quickly she became a surragate mother to hundreds of orphans as Ethiopia raged with death during the HIV/AIDs crisis, leaving a whole generation parentless.  This book was evocative and stunning, depressing and uplifting as I learned about a crisis (genocide?) that has taken place in my lifetime (during years where I thought I was informed and politically minded!) and yet one that I was unaware of.  This book sparked passionate discussions around my dinner table as Matt and I wondered about and researched AIDs, Ethiopia's history and politics, and even Biblical history (Queen Sheba of Ethiopia visited King Solomon and claims to have had his son, the first in a line of Ethiopian kings who claim lineage to King David).  I learned more about Africa from reading this book then any African history course that I took in college. It sounds like a heavy book, but it is worth the investment!

No comments: