The Reading Continues

Book #19 of 2010 is...
Hiroshima
by John Hersey


I read this book because it is required reading at my new school for my 10th graders.  It was an interesting, devastating, and sickening book...sort of like watching a train wreck.  But, like a train wreck, you just can't look away and this book was a page turner.  I read it quickly because I wanted to know what would happen to all of the characters in the end.  I was also really surprised that this book was written and published in 1946, so soon after the bomb was dropped.  It is a book that is VERY sympathetic to the Japanese people and while it is not so surprisingly American to be so compassionate, it is sort of interesting that there was a publisher and a market for this book so soon after the war.  Either way it is a good thing for students to read and know about.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I'm not a 10th grader. I don't think that I'd enjoy these books. Bet you will make them interesting to your students. Good luck with your new job.