The Reading Continues

I know that I have been doing A LOT of reading lately...but don't judge me.  My house is clean...sort of and no one is starving.   Besides...
"Deep summer is when laziness finds respectability."
-Sam Keen
And that is just the kind of beautiful thought I need before I go back to school/work.

Book #20 of 2010 is...
The House on Mango Street
by Sandra Cisneros

This was another book that I had to read to prepare for my 10th grade English class.  I have read parts of it before (it is a book of short stories) but this is definitely not a book I would have picked up to read on my own.  I think it is on the reading list because it is written by a Hispanic author and it is very much a book that details Hispanic culture.  I don't know how I am going to teach this book this year because I didn't really enjoy it at all...and there are many OTHER Hispanic authors that I do enjoy reading.  Oh well, I guess I just won't spend as much time on this one.



Book #21 of 2010 is...
The Quilter's Apprentice
by Jennifer Chiaverini

This book was AWESOME!  I sort of bribed myself to read The House on Mango Street knowing that I couldn't start this book until that one was finished..  This is a brand new author to me that I discovered by reading a magazine article about her (Country Woman Magazine...one of my favorite things).  This is the first book in a series of 14 books (I think?) about friendships and quilting.  This book was not the fluff book that I thought it would be though, it was really well written and had some historical and technical quilting info.  If you like Debbie Macomber books (as I do) but always wish that there was a little more substance to the storyline you will REALLY like the Elm Creek Quilts Series by Chiaverini.  I am definitely going to read more from this author!


Book #22 of 2010 is...
Madness in the Family
by William Saroyan

William Saroyan is my most favorite local author.  I loved him when I read his novel, The Human Comedy.   He first started writing in 1934 and is from Fresno (begrudgingly so).  His books are fun because they refer to many familiar streets and sights around the valley.  But they are also thought-provoking and deep.  His Armenian background is also a part of his books and it adds a richness to the stories he tells.  This is a book of short stories and his singular voice and shrewd humor give each story such a sense of fullness and life.  For example, one story in this book ends with this moral, "In short, don't count on being terribly spiritual unless you are also always slightly sick.  A proverb seized upon eagerly by Fresno."  This is a quick read and full of funny and just good stories.  Besides who wouldn't love a book called Madness in the Family?  Goodness knows there is always plenty of that.

No comments: